Monday, August 24, 2009

Surgery!

It has been a long day! This morning the neurologist was able to examine Winston and determined that he was not getting better and in fact was getting a little worse.

It all went quite quickly, after the examination we had about an hour with Winston for final snuggles and hugs. He looked super cute with his little IV bandage and was really looking forward to being able to walk again!!

At about 2pm he was whisked off for a CT Scan, (I would have thought MRI, but apparently doxies spines are captured very well on a CT Scan alone) and it showed an enlarged disc between #'s 10 & 11 and some scraping was required. I will make sure I write a more technical description of the exact procedure of what happened once I talk to the surgeon - and take notes!
We opted to leave Winston at the hospital (he is in excellent hands, and as much as I really wanted to be there I should really be at the store as much as possible right now) and so we got a call from the Dr. as soon as the surgery was over and he said everything went very well. The proof will be in the morning when Winston will (should) go for his first walk with his 'new' back!! I am just so happy and relieved that my little guy will be walking again!! There is an 80-90% chance that he will be as good as new! The best part is that the recovery time is less than half of the crate rest time (3 months) as I thought that was going to be his fate!!

More tomorrow after I talk to the doctor.

Winkie report: Resting comfortably with heated blankets :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment